Ask an expert

30 Nov 2005

I looked up all the previous correspondence on this and I couldn't find an answer either - like JJ. I've visited several websites and have all the symptoms(all, exactly as mentioned in the websites) but test shows normal. I had a TSH blood test done as well as Estradiol. I don't have a med aid so I can't see an Endocrinologist. I see you suggest people to go see a physician, but what good will that do if the test already showed no problems? Can supplements be taken and can you refer any? Can you please give a direct answer.
Answer 386 views

01 Jan 0001

TN, seeing a physician will help find the cause as thyroid problems are not the only disorders that can cause the symptoms of a slow metabolism. It might also be that you have a normal TSH, but that you have a low T3 – the active part of thyroid hormone.
The problem with suggesting a supplement is that what do I suggest if I don’t know what the cause is? The best would be to invest some money in seeing a specialist and getting a proper diagnosis made. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20030 votes