Ask an expert

04 Mar 2004

lump under arm
I'm a 19 year old medical student. I have developed a lump under my arm in the last few days. Initially I thought it was a spot, so I messed with it. Now it has become red and swollen and it moves. I have been feeling run down recently and I am due to have a period. I am beginning to think it's a gland, but could it be cancerous?
Answer 381 views

01 Jan 0001

Sophie, I doubt that it is cancerous, but it might be the beginning of an abscess. The best would be to apply an antibacterial ointment and to leave it alone. If it becomes worse, the best would be to see a doctor. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19955 votes