Ask an expert

13 Mar 2007

Lump under skin
Hi, when I lie on my back and feel the skin over my right rib cage I can feel a lump underneath, is this a fatty lump or could it be something else. it is not big pea size maybe, no pain at all, seems quite smooth, is there any way I can tell if it is harmless or not.

Thank you
Answer 420 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Keren
If it moves under the skin it probably is just a harmless lipoma or "fatty gland". If it is sort of "stuck" onto a rib, you may need to let your doctor look at this.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9422 votes
68% - 19857 votes