Ask an expert

15 Dec 2004

Good Day Doc,

I have been suffering from migraines from 2000 till today and they are worse when its summer. I have been to a Nuerologists who told me that its a combination of tension and migraines. He refered me for a head scan- which came as- NOTHING IS WRONG with the braine cause he though i might be developing a tumor.

These headaches are accompanied by nausea and dizziness and they are there morning and night everyday. Everything smells terrible including perfumes. Im a due for another head scan again in January as my headache is not getting any better. My blood pressure is normal as per Doc.

Can you please advise, which tests can i ask my doctor to do on me that can tell why im suffering from terrible headaches. Which is the right person to go to, the GP or the Neurologists?

Your help is always appreciated and sorry for the long e-mail.

Kind regards
Answer 319 views

01 Jan 0001

Nikki, a neurologist is the best specialist to see – just see one that has a special interest in headaches. You have to remember that migraine is only treatable, not curable. Migraine may differ in presentation from person to person and so do the successful treatment options. The thing with migraine is that the attacks are usually self limiting and it sounds like your headaches are continuous. This makes one think that it isn’t just a migraine and that one should look for an ENT problem or a systemic disorder.
That said, I don’t have all the information so the best would be to stick with your specialist and if he can’t help to get a second opinion from a neurologist that specialises in headaches. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.