Ask an expert

04 Feb 2004

Mitral Valve Prolapse
After reading your message to Yolande, I feel the need to ask your advise.
I went to a cardiologist 2 years ago , due to the palpitations that I get, and he diagnosed mitral valve prolapse and said it could be due to the fact that I had rheumatic fever when I was 5 years old.

He did not hower give me any medication for it and since the birth of my second child (I am now 29 years old) the palpitaions got worse so bad that it takes my breath away and I feel like I want to faint. This usully happens when I am very stressed or tired.

I do not feel comfortable going back to that cardiologist as he did not give me much advise as to what it actually is, but I do feel the need to take medication for it as it "rules" my life. Some nights I actually can not sleep as I feel pain in my heart.

I know that with any other cardiologist you need referral, is this so? Can I get the propranolol over the counter or do I need a prescription.

Any advise will help
Thanks a lot

Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

Me, if you live in or around Pretoria, I can refer you to an excellent cardiologist, but otherwise you will have to ask your GP. You will need a prescription for รข-blockers, so you will have to see a doctor anyway. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19320 votes