Ask an expert

03 Feb 2004

Mulfunctioning valve?
Sometimes when I eat, food get stuck in my chest, this is very painful, a doctor told me once it is because of a valve that does not automatically open to allow food through to the stomach, what is this valve called, is it a specific condition and what can be done about it.
Answer 370 views

01 Jan 0001

Sonja, there is no real valve in the oesophagus. There is a muscle at the lower end called the lower oesophageal sphincter that functions as a valve and I suppose that’s what he war referring to. If food gets stuck there regularly, the best would be to see a gastroenterologist (stomach specialist) as it might be something serious. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19431 votes