Ask an expert

02 Jul 2005

Name of blood test for Bilharzia?
A friend appears to have a possibility of Bilharzia, but her General Practitioner didn't know what blood test he should ask for to check whether she has it or not. Can you help?
Answer 358 views

01 Jan 0001

GlobeTrotter, I doubt that he didn’t know what he should do (I assume you live in SA). It is more likely that your friend wants to save money by going directly to the lab. It’s going to backfire because the laboratory will not give the results to her and she won’t be able to get medicine without a prescription.
Anyway, she can send away urine and ask for a MC&S and blood for Bilharzia serology. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.