Ask an expert

22 Jul 2010

Nerve damage
My dad has been shot in his lower back a few years ago in a farm attack. The bullets severed his nerves in the pelvic area. He lost control of his right foot and is wearing a brace on it to keep it steady and to help with walking. The blood circulation is also compromised in his leg, which leaves his leg constantly cold. He is living in constant pain.

We heard that there is a doctor in Nelspruit area that works with people with Nerve Damage that can possibly help in repairing the nerves in his back. Is there any chance that you could help in finding this doctor or someone else that could help my dad? My parents do not have a medical aid.
Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Birdy
I am not aware of anyone specific but if there is, it would be a neurologist or neurosurgeon. If they don't have a medical aid, I would suggest you ask for a referral to the Neurology department at Steve Biko or Charlotte Maxeke academic hospitals to see a specialist. An operation may be very costly.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19934 votes