Ask an expert

27 Jul 2008

OPINIONS PLEASE - Circumcision...
Dear CyberDoc

I am a 20-year old male, and I have always had a problem with my foreskin.

It improved over the past few years and is considerably looser than what it was before. However, I seem to be getting bladder/uretha infections from time to time, and I battle to clean underneath the skin since the glans is extremely sensitive and untouchable. I can only retract about halfway, but fully under water in the bath.

I am now reaching a stage where I am wondering whether I should have a circumcision done in order to carry on with my life and make the most out of it, and enhance my self-image since this always bothers me.

My concerns are as follows:

1. Will the pain be bearable after such an operation?
2. If I cannot even touch the glans now, how will I be able to bear it touching everywhere once there is no longer any skin covering it? I' ll die (*blush*)
3. I am afraid of bleeding to death?
4. What, in your opinion, is the best method to use with the least possible complications, least potential for pain and quickest healing? From what I understand there are several methods that can be used including a few more modern ones?

Lastly, can you please refer me to a Urologist in the Pretoria area who will be willing to carefully assess the situation and not just straight away think of circumsising me? Please doctor.

Answer 567 views

01 Jan 0001

Thank you for visiting

1. The pain will be bearable after circumcision. In fact, it is not painful at all and takes about 7-14 days to heal.
2. The glanspenis will be sensitive and painful to touch, due to chronic irritation and infection of the foreskin. Once the foreskin is removed, it will not be painful at all, as the irritation will resolve.
3. Bleeding will be controlled during the operation and therefore, you do not have to fear that you will bleed to death.
4. The urologist will assess your penis and decide which procedure is the best suitable one.

Unfortunately, I am situated in Cape Town and is not familiar with the specialist in the Pretoria area. You can contact your local hospital, as they will be able to provide you with the details of a good urologist.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19432 votes