Ask an expert

14 Oct 2009


I am a white male in my late 20' s, and I have a very embarrasing problem. It seems that the older I get, my ' boobs'  tend to get bigger. Not only that, but some days they are very painful as well. I am not overweight, and tend to excercise regularly. What could be the cause of this? I have had this problem since I was a teenager, and doctors then told me it will go away. Is there a way to become flat chested like a proper man should be? I am too embarresed to go to doctors, or swim etc. Please help. Thanks.
Answer 375 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Dunno
Men can get gynecomastia due to certain medications, liver disease, hormonal abnormalities, or because of fat deposits. 25% of men has gynecomastia without any cause. Your doctor can check your testosterone levels, your thyroid hormones, liverfunctions ( it sounds like you are not on medications) and if all is normal, you can consider having surgery to remove the excessive breast tissue.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.