Ask an expert

23 Feb 2004

Paraplegic SEVERE nerve pain
Dear Doc

My husband is 29 now and had an accident a year and 6 months ago, that left him paraplegic from level T4 and down.

Besides this being a terrible thing for us everyday to cope with, he has SEVERE madening nerve pain everyday of his life since the accident, although normal people might think "ye right! you are paraplegic and is not suppose to feel anything" but this we know exists as we did a lot of research and has been to a lot of specialist, including Dr Francois Theron at the Muelmed Hospital, before. They all say the same thing, that his pain that he experiences around his T4 level (as he describes it feels like a steel clamp is clamping him just above the level he can feel all around also accompanied with a constant burning, stabbing, pain sensation and sometimes he says it feels like he is being bend into two!

We have really tried everything you can emagine. He is constantly using 600mg of Neurontin per day, 50 mg Tripelene, 25mg Ethipramine, drinks about 4-6 Lentogesic capsules per day depending on the pain, takes 100mg Luvox and a lot of vitamines and antioxidants. Is there really not ANYTHING else we can do for him except take him for that new operation where they implant a little thing into your spinal fluid that looks like a catheter and then the pouch under your stomach skin where you get injected Morphine every month???

What can we do? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can you help us with any information? Is there not someone you know of that specialises in spinal cord injury nerve pain or extreme nerve pain caused by injury? PLEASE, sometimes when he really cant take the pain anymore, he says it would be better for him to rather die, then he wont be suffering anymore...

And this is what is currently happening to him. Besides the fact that he lost everything that he held dear about his health, his body, his independence, together with all those subjects we now have to face every second of our lives, he also has this TERRIBLE , CANT COPE ANYMORE-PAIN. He is suffering, really.

Please let me know if you know of anyone, anything that can help him because it breaks my heart to see the person I love most in this world to suffer so much!

Kind regards

Adri Vermeulen
Answer 3,366 views

01 Jan 0001

Adri, an option would be for him to see a neurosurgeon so that they can identify the offending nerve and destroy it. There are excellent neurosurgeons in Pretoria, so if you e-mail me at, I’ll send you some names. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20008 votes