Ask an expert

27 Mar 2007

Period Pains
A junior member of our staff takes one day off each month due to crippling period pains - the sympathies of the "powers that be" are running a bit thin and I've agreed to address this issue. She is not on the pill and I'd like to be able to suggest which painkillers she can take or which options she should pursue. She is obviously "regular" as our records reflect the monthly absenteeism. I have no doubt whatsoever that her pain is acute because she can hardly stand up straight when it comes. She is only 20 years old and has been sexually active in a committed relationship for about 3 years.
Answer 350 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Concerned
Ask her to make an appointment with a gyne - doing a "stretch" (dilatation) of the cervix sometimes do wonders! Alternatives would be to take the 3 month depot injection/contraceptive pill and using something like Synflex for the pain.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19939 votes