Ask an expert

16 Apr 2006

Possible Hernia ?
I have always had a slim, flat stomach but for the past year it bulges out, especially after eating a lot. My cousin thought I was pregnant again, although it does not bulge out that badly. I am 46 kg so not overweight and I thought it was due to aging (36) and my stomach muscles not being as strong as they used to after two caesars. My uterus lining was so thin the Dr. could see my baby through it.
At a breast checkup the other day the Dr. said that I had a hernia and pressed his fingers into my bellybutton. I asked if he was serious and he said yes and then I forgot to question him further as I was nervous about the results of my breast check.
If I go to my local Dr. will he be able to diagnose me with what I think now may be an umbilical hernia and take if from there or will I have to go for a scan or something, which my medical aid does not cover ??
Answer 300 views

01 Jan 0001

HI Tan
Yes your local dr will be able to diagnose a hernia, you won't need a scan but you may need to go into hospital to have it surgically repaired.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.