Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
19 Jan 2004
All annual health checks say I'm fine except for a degree of insulin resistance which I control by careful eating, and which may disappear once I manage to lose more weight. I am overweight, female, going through menopause (no problems, no hrt), not as fit as I should be. I want to know why I have puffy ankles more and more frequently after days when I am on my feet a lot eg shopping, even countryside walking, also after air travel. The puffy ankles are accompanied by burst blood vessels which of course then lead to bruising. I first noticed the puffiness some ten years ago but the broken blood vessels only started about three years ago. My 80 year old mother has had puffy ankles for many years. Considering my ok health checks, should I be concerned? What is the cause of the condition?
Jan, it could be due to the first stages of heart failure, kidney problems, high blood pressure, liver (protein) problems, blood flow problems and a whole host of other more obscure reasons. The problem is that I can’t tell you which one it is from this side of the screen. The best would be to see a specialist physician and have him make sure that nothing serious is the matter. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Covid-19 virus a triple threat: Study exposes how it outsmarts the immune system
- Mixing Pfizer and AstraZeneca Covid vaccines increases mild side effects, early results show
- Questions about stability of Covid-19 platform on Day 1 of second phase vaccinations
- THE ESKOM FILES | Coming home to roost: How big business helped fund Eskom exec’s chicken farm
- Karyn Maughan | After demanding his trial start, will Zuma finally plead to the case against him?
- Tributes pour in for Durban Metro officer who died while diving
- 'Illegitimate' royal council plans to loot Balobedu funds, ANC MP Mathole Motshekga claims
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20321 votes