Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
21 Nov 2004
Hi, I've had trouble with my quads for some time now. I've posted questions to the sports doc & physio but have had no response for a few weeks now. When I play sport, speciffically when I run with long strides, I get pain in the upper part of the quad. I've been going to a biokenetic centre for 3 months now, streetching various muscles and doing strengthening work but there has been no improvement. Do you have any advice on what I should do now? Who else could I go to for a second opinion? Could I have damaged it to the point where I need surgery? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Bob, it might be due to referred pain from the sciatic nerve. What sometimes happens is that the nerve forms adhesions to the surrounding tissues and this causes pain when you stretch the leg. Usually it clears up with stretch exercises, but sometimes it requires more drastic treatment. The best would be to see an orthopaedic surgeon and have him sort it out for you. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- How Taiwan beat Covid-19 – new study reveals clues to its success
- Why do children fare better than adults when infected with SARS-CoV-2? What latest research says
- Efforts to reduce coronavirus spread should focus on airborne transmission, not surfaces
- Covid-19: Does exercising really reduce the risk?
- ANALYSIS | As Zimbabwe observes its independence anniversary, is there much to celebrate?
- Ofentse Mokwena | Time to revisit the levy that is fuelling motorists' ire
- Jabulani Sikhakhane | Political greed is the biggest fire to put out
- Cape Town fire: UCT working on urgent safety plan to prevent future fire hazards
- Cape Town fire: Did 'heritage' trees and 'ember attacks' outsmart SANParks' fire preparation?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20008 votes