Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
08 Dec 2004
Red abd itcht Elbows(inner arms), nek, hands and face
I have had this condition for the last 15 years and have been treated with cortesone ointments and more recently went onto a drug called methtrexate which seems to reduce the itch as well as the redness but it does not go away completely. Doctors have told me that it's a form of eczema but I'm not sure as to what the real cause can be. I have found that certain types of food such as red meat, corn starch, all kinds of wheat and caffeine aggrevates the situation and have since cut these products out completely. My eating habits are very good as I eat on average 6 helpings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily and have fish or chicken as protein once a day only. I try to keep my stress levels in check as well. Is there an allergy test that I should maybe go for or is there a different treatment that you can suggest? There are days that the pain and discomfort becomes almost unbearable and I'm rather desperate to get a cure for my condition.
Ed, it is very difficult to make a dermatological diagnosis over the Net without being able to see it. It sounds like a form of eczema or allergy, but I can’t say which. You can go for allergy tests (ask your doctor to refer you), but it can become a pricey affair. Another option would be to get a second opinion from a different dermatologist. If you live in or around Pretoria I can refer you, but otherwise you will have to ask your GP. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- What happens if you walk into a vaccination site? We break it down
- Do we really need to walk 10 000 steps a day?
- Over half of adults unvaccinated for Covid-19 fear needles – here’s what’s proven to help
- Many of us overestimate our exercise levels – here’s how to calculate how much you really do
- Covid-19: Delta variant symptoms include headache, runny nose – can feel 'more like a bad cold'
- THE ESKOM FILES | 'False and fabricated': How Eskom officials colluded with construction giants
- Rural areas leading the way in registering people for Covid-19 vaccinations - health dept
- Never-ending story: Zondo Commission to seek another extension – but will govt pay for it?
- SA Post Office has a new business plan, but admits losing Postbank will hurt
- Sihle Zikalala calls on the ANCYL task team to focus on SA's 'three pandemics'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9519 votes
69% - 20841 votes