Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
08 Dec 2004
Red abd itcht Elbows(inner arms), nek, hands and face
I have had this condition for the last 15 years and have been treated with cortesone ointments and more recently went onto a drug called methtrexate which seems to reduce the itch as well as the redness but it does not go away completely. Doctors have told me that it's a form of eczema but I'm not sure as to what the real cause can be. I have found that certain types of food such as red meat, corn starch, all kinds of wheat and caffeine aggrevates the situation and have since cut these products out completely. My eating habits are very good as I eat on average 6 helpings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily and have fish or chicken as protein once a day only. I try to keep my stress levels in check as well. Is there an allergy test that I should maybe go for or is there a different treatment that you can suggest? There are days that the pain and discomfort becomes almost unbearable and I'm rather desperate to get a cure for my condition.
Ed, it is very difficult to make a dermatological diagnosis over the Net without being able to see it. It sounds like a form of eczema or allergy, but I can’t say which. You can go for allergy tests (ask your doctor to refer you), but it can become a pricey affair. Another option would be to get a second opinion from a different dermatologist. If you live in or around Pretoria I can refer you, but otherwise you will have to ask your GP. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Covid-19 virus a triple threat: Study exposes how it outsmarts the immune system
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Questions about stability of Covid-19 platform on Day 1 of second phase vaccinations
- THE ESKOM FILES | Coming home to roost: How big business helped fund Eskom exec’s chicken farm
- Karyn Maughan | After demanding his trial start, will Zuma finally plead to the case against him?
- 'Illegitimate' royal council plans to loot Balobedu funds, ANC MP Mathole Motshekga claims
- Adriaan Basson | Tata ma chance, tata ma Covid-19 vaccines
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20312 votes