Ask an expert

07 Feb 2004

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Hi Doc

I have been having pain in my knees and went to see a orthopedic surgeon who took blood tests and the results showed my Rheumatoid Factor is 40. Is this something to be concerned about? Does this mean I have Rheumatiod Arthritis? Will the disease eventually progress or how can I keep it at bay? The Doctor gave me Athrotec 75 and told me to take 2 a day but the medication makes me nauseas and swollen (fluid retention I think). I am 32 now and female. What do I need to do to still live a normal life and is there any other medication I should look at taking? After being on Arthrtec for 4 days now my kness still feel weak and I generally feel dizzy from the medicine but I am too afraid to stop taking it in case it means the disease spreads...PLEASE HELP! Also, is there any good rhematologist you can recommend in the Durban area?
Answer 448 views

01 Jan 0001

Maureen, a RF of 1:40 is definitely not proof of you having rheumatoid arthritis. It sounds like the Arthrotec® is not agreeing with you and the best would be to change to a different anti-inflammatory like Celebrex® or Vioxx®. You can also ask your GP to refer you to a good rheumatologist although I doubt that it is necessary. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9519 votes
69% - 20841 votes