Ask an expert

09 Dec 2005

severe chest cramp/spasm
i am a 22 year old female, my problem is that every now and then i get a severe cramp or spasm sort of inbetween my breast and chest. its difficult to explain. the only way it goes away is if i lie on my back on the floor and take tiny breaths because if i breathe deeply it hurts too much, if feels like it pulls. sometimes when i feel i am getting one and i straighten my back and take deep breaths it will go away. it is not always on the same place either, and sometimes it is so bad it feels like it shoots down to my ribs in sort of a straight line. i dont have medical aid so i cant go see a specialist.
Answer 389 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Scared,
This does not sound like a heart problem, could be a muscle spasm or spasm of your esophagus (gullet) . The best will be to go to a GP for a check up and let him/her look at your chest. Are you normally under a lot of stress?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19957 votes