Ask an expert

16 Feb 2004

Siatica or something else
My mother had been diagnosed with siatica. She is 72 yrs old and has had this for nearly 2 years now. She has tried physiotherapy, has been in hospital for manipulation and also has been on tablets and she is still in pain most of the time. She says the pain is in her legs and then also in her bottom and aches terribly and cannot even go shopping. Please tell me if there is anything else that we can try. She lives in Midrand so if there is anyone nearby that she could try we would be very grateful for info.
Answer 311 views

01 Jan 0001

Pauline, if it is sciatica, it implies that there is a back problem and as long as this isn’t treated, the problem won’t go away. The best would be for her to see a neurosurgeon and have him sort it out for her. In the meantime she can try a long acting anti-inflammatory like Brexecam®, Celebrex®, Mobic® or Vioxx®, good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.