Ask an expert

29 Sep 2009

I went to a dr complaining about fish smell evrytime after sexual intercourse, she prescribed Metrogel to be used 5 days, I did that but the problem did not go away. is there any over the counter medicine I can use for this? I' m 31 female. it only happens after sex and I' m in a long distance relationship, so when my hubby is away I don' e get this smell
Answer 386 views

01 Jan 0001


Ask your doctor to do a papsmear, as well as an MC&S of the vaginal discharge, in order to identify the pathogen that causes the infection and the fishy odour. It is most probably a bacterial vaginitis caused by Gardnerella infection.


Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20205 votes