Ask an expert

10 Feb 2004

Sore place under foot
I have been struggling for about 2 years with the same thing, its not improving, in fact its getting worse slowly.
Under my foot, in the centre where the heel of my foot begins after the arch, is a sore spot. Its sore if you press it with your thumb, the area is about thumb width and about thumb length. It feels like a sinew or something, and when you press it feels like a very sore fresh bruise. It also has a burney feeling when I walk and it cramps as well, which is rather eina. I dont wear heels, I wear good flat shoes. Please help, I've been bandaging it and rubbing in Deep Heat but it doesnt help much. It has affected my walk, I cant walk very far anymore and now my ankle on the other foot is starting to play up because I cant walk like I used to. I'm 32
Answer 376 views

01 Jan 0001

Karen, it sounds like you might be suffering from calcaneal spur syndrome. Calcaneal spur syndrome is heel pain in the area of the inferior calcaneus (heel bone) caused by the pull of the plantar fascia on the periosteum.
Spurs probably result from excessive pulling or stretching of the calcaneal periosteum by the plantar fascia. The stretching may also result in pain along the inner border of the plantar fascia (plantar fasciitis). Flatfeet and contracted heel cords may lead to spurs through increased plantar fascial tension.
Treatment mainly consists of a combination of any of the following: exercises, strapping, physiotherapy, anti-inflammatory drugs and cortisone (oral and injected).
If you want more info on calcaneal spurs or plantar fasciitis, mail me at and I’ll cut and paste you something. Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.