Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
10 Dec 2002
Suspected Urticaria (hives)
I suspect that I may have Urticaria. I developed a rash on my stomach about 7 days ago. The actual spots statred out quite small (about 4mm in diameter) with a slight blister in the centre, they have since become more spread out incertain places. I did seek madical advice but the doctor did not know what the rash was and sent me away with a cortizone cream ( which has not helped). The rash has since spread over my back, neck, and chest area, and is working it's way down my legs and arms. On my chest and neck the rash is very itchy and is also itchy on other areas. Does this sound like hives? I live in Doha, Qatar and am not always sure that I will get a correct diagnosis, though I intend to revisist the doctor. I can't tink of anything new that I ate although I did have some nuts last week but I have never had a reaction to them. I would be grateful for you opinion as I an unsure how I should proceed.
Louise, I can’t say for sure what it is without being able to examine you, but I have to agree that it doesn’t sound like urticaria. From this side of the screen it sounds more like an infection or even a form of eczema, but not like urticaria. The best would be to get a second opinion from a different doctor. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- How Taiwan beat Covid-19 – new study reveals clues to its success
- Why do children fare better than adults when infected with SARS-CoV-2? What latest research says
- Efforts to reduce coronavirus spread should focus on airborne transmission, not surfaces
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- ANALYSIS | As Zimbabwe observes its independence anniversary, is there much to celebrate?
- Ofentse Mokwena | Time to revisit the levy that is fuelling motorists' ire
- Jabulani Sikhakhane | Political greed is the biggest fire to put out
- Cape Town fire: UCT working on urgent safety plan to prevent future fire hazards
- Cape Town fire: Did 'heritage' trees and 'ember attacks' outsmart SANParks' fire preparation?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20008 votes