Ask an expert

24 Oct 2009

dear doc

i am 21 years old and have been suffering with excessive sweating for years. i went abroad two years ago and i saw a doctor about it. he wasn' t very helpful and suggested i wait to see if it goes away. he said if its not gone by the time i' m 21 then i should consider having the sympathectomy. i have had this on my mind for years and know all the risks, but i' m getting to a stage in my life where i' m working, studying and i sweat all the time. i can' t wear certain clothes, i am paranoid about smelling funky and generally socially phobic. its destroyed my life. what steps must i take to have the procedure,should i see my gp first or what expert must i see to do the surgery? i also want my medical aid to pay for it, i was wondering if you perhaps know if they usually do..?

thanks so much
Answer 327 views

01 Jan 0001


You will have to consult a GP to get a referral to a cardio-thoracic surgeon. The surgeon will be able to write a motivational request to your medical aid, in order for them to pay for the procedure.


Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.