Ask an expert

06 Aug 2008

Hi doc i was coughing for 1 week and had a heavy chest.When to see my doc and he said broncites but i asked for a skin test to check for tb and after 3 days i went back and where they injected me it became like a skin rash it was very itchy doc said it could be tb i did x rays blood tests and a sputum test. I will go back to the doc with my x rays as soon as i get my sputum and blood results.If i do have tb can i get my meds directly from my doc as i like to do it privatly and will i be able to have children as soon as treatment is over,im so stressed and concernd if i will lead a normal life again.
Answer 394 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Anon
Because we all get TB immunizations at birth in SA the skin test is not always very reliable in SA. The blood test is much more specific ( if he asked for the PCR one). Yes you can get TB medication from your GP or specialist directly and a person that has TB is not infective after 2 weeks of taking his medication regularly. Don't upset yourself until you know for sure.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9428 votes
68% - 19906 votes