Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
02 Dec 2004
I normally have a yearly thyroid blood test as i have a multi nodular goitre, i would like to know whether this blood test would be able to pick up cancer of the thyroid? or does it just check the function of the thyroid and maybe there is a separe test for cancer? surely it would pick up?
Nini, a thyroid function test (TSH and T4) will not pick up cancer. It is used in conjunction with other tests (clinical examination, ultrasound, FNA, iodine uptake, etc.) to determine whether you have cancer. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- How to make sense of nutrition labels
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- Covid-19 patients have a higher risk of in-hospital morbidity and mortality after surgery
- 'Hlophe should not only be impeached, he should be put in prison' - Kriegler
- Family finally gets justice 10 years after their three-year-old boy drowned at a North West lodge
- Meet Soweto's 'cemetery navigators' - the men attending to dilapidated graves
- High risks or picky banks: Why is microfinance not taking off in SA?
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Judge Dennis Davis: ‘To accuse the judiciary of being captured is outrageous’
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19977 votes