Ask an expert

05 Feb 2009

Thryoid question
Hi CyberDoc

I am a 35 year old man. Lately, the last 4 or 5 mths, I haven' t been exercising much.

I went to the doctor in dec. and protein was found in my urine. Also my heartrate was terrible, over 117 or so beats a minute.

The doc gave me pur-blocka tabs for my heart and anti-histamines for my allergies. Anyway, I' ve lost a few kgs and feel so low on energy the last 3 mths.

I tested hiv-negative so it' s not hiv, because the test was done 10 mths after the last sexual encounter.

I' m wondering if I have an overactive thryoid. I' ve never had a blood test done for the thyroid yet. In the past about 15 years ago a doc looked at my throat and said my thryoid seems ok, but I don' t know now.

Appreciate your advice.

Thank you
Answer 360 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Darren
Abnormal high protein levels in the urine can be a sign of kidney disease - one can test this with a blood test, and urine also needs to be sent to the lab. Thyroid function can only be tested by a blood test. Ask him to also do a full blood count test to check for anemia
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.