Ask an expert

28 Jul 2005

Hi Doc, howzit?
How does one get tested for thyroid? I've had my heartbeat going faster at times, the weight gain over a period now of 3 years, and I'm just thinking, perhaps I should have this tested. What do they do to assess one? And then if it is a problem, what happens then? How do they treat it? Please can you give me more info.
Many thanks & looking forward to your response.
Answer 250 views

01 Jan 0001

Strawberry, the easiest would be to have blood taken for TSH and T4 levels. You can have it done by your GP or any pathology laboratory. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19318 votes