Ask an expert
Question

06 Apr 2006

Tongue Allergy
Hi,

I'm having a strange allergic reaction on my tongue. On Saturday I had some flavoured speciality tea (Orange, honey and Ginger). within 20 minutes of drinking that tea, my tongue started burning terribly! I ignored the feeling, but by lunch time I couldn't even eat. On Sunday, the same thing happened, by then I was now on bran flakes and milk as they were the only things I could take. On Monday I just couldn't take it, my tongue started to swell and I had some light bleeding and I then went to the doctor who suspected allergic reaction to one of the ingredients which is "Hibiscus". Initially when I went to the doctor, my sense of taste was also gone, but now it is back, but the strange thing is that everything is terribly very hot (Burning/chillie) even the sweet things like chocolates are so hot! I am on medication for 5 days, but am terribly worried as I now have cereals for breakfast, lunch and supper - this is now the fourth day! Should I just wait for the fifth day or just go for second opinion? Please help. do other people react to this hibiscus as well?
Answer 347 views
Expert
CyberDoc
cyberdoc

01 Jan 0001

Hi Malebo
Hang in there for a day or so - it may take a while to get better. You can also try eating Purity fruits and rinsing your mouth with Cepacaine to reduce the burning.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes
32% - 9476 votes
No
68% - 20327 votes
Vote