Ask an expert

12 Apr 2006

Hi Doc

For the past three or four years I have been suffering from severe heartburn. I take Eno's etc and I've been to doctor who gave me Altosec. This only helps for the moment. I'm a 26 year old female and I eat spicy food in moderation. Is there a possibility that I may have an ulcer? I have a stressful job and I study as well.

What are the symptoms of ulcers, and what kind of check should my doctor do to detect an ulcer because all I get from doctors is tablets which don't seem to get to the root of the problem.

Many thanks
Answer 500 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Nal
Your doctor should send you for a gastroscopy - where they look into your stomach with a tube ( if you don't have a medical aid you can have it done at your nearest provincial hospital) and you should be on a course of 6 weeks treatment plus/minus antibiotics depending on what the results of the gastroscopy is.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9435 votes
68% - 19981 votes