Ask an expert

07 Apr 2006

Uneven skin tone
Please help. For the past year or so, I have developed dark spots on my face. I am a 32 yr old f/male. I have researched this on the internet and it would seem it's called melasma.
Besides going to see a dermatologist, which I cannot afford, what other remedies can you offer? I have been using a facewash and cream (daily, twice a day) containing AHA and been doing my best to avoid the sun. I feel like a hermit!! Nobody else in my family suffers from this. What can I do. Thanking you.
Answer 333 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Lee
Be very careful to treat these spots yourself - a lot of the over the counter medication can actually make it worse!
Current treatment consists of the triad of sun blocks, bleach, and time. Sunscreens should be opaque, broad-spectrum formulations with an SPF of at least 30. Bleaching preparations include 2% or 4% hydroquinone-containing creams or gels. Combination products containing sunscreens and hydroquinone can be applied once daily. Simultaneous use of topical tretinoin gel (0.025%) is usually required as well. Also available now are combination corticosteroid/hydroquinone/tretinoin creams, which are very effective and well tolerated by patients for short periods of time (ie, 8 weeks). Another option is glycolic acid peels. This is one skin problem where you actually should invest in a dermatologist consultation.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.