Ask an expert

11 Aug 2008

upper uti
Hi, I am a 40 year old male. About 23 years back I was in a MVA. I have plates and screws put into my left femur and hip. About a year after the MVA I went for a cysytoscopy due to a stricture. This was the first. There after I have had a recurring stricture and have gone for 6 such operations . This year Feb 08) I went for a check up and my urologist did a dialation that put my urethea into a spasam which meant I could not urinate at all. I had a suprabubic cathater put in for two days (Feb 08) On the third day I went into Hospital and had a Memokath put in. This was six moths back. I am on Macrodantin 100mg at present. I still have lots of pain while urinating and have to force to empty my bladder. Is this something that I should be concern about? I am rather frustrated at the situation and would like some advise. I have tried to get a second opinion but need to get my Urologist to write me a letter as some ethics are involved with docters seen other docters PX. Can I get some advise?
Answer 348 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Jitoo
It sounds to me as if you have a recurring physical problem in the urethra and or the bladder, the repeated operations to remedy the problem can again cause scar tissue that can cause recurring problems. You are entitled to a second opinion, ask your urologist to give you a referral letter and copies of all your tests etc to discuss with another doctor, or ask your GP to write a letter to another Urologist for second opinion - he need not treat you, he can just evaluate your problem.

If you have permanent physical damage to the bladder, you may need to consider doing clean intermittent catheterization - a thin metal catheter of about 12 cm long is used 4 or so times a day to empty your bladder with. Paraplegics often use this as stay-in catheters tend to cause infection. An overly distended bladder often goes into spasm and may be the reason for your pain and the force you need to use to empty your bladder. You can also use medication to prevent bladder spasms (like Ditropan)

Sometimes you need to ask your doctor to explain alternative options of management of the problem to you as they may not fully realize how badly this is affecting you in your everyday life.

Let me know if you managed to get a second opinion?
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19306 votes