Ask an expert

21 Nov 2005

Want to reduce alcohol consumption
The amount of alcohol consumption is sometimes getting the hand over the will of my husband. The effect of that changes him in to another person, acting, saying and doing things that he will under "normal" conditions not do. With the festive season in front of us I need to do something. Maybe to suppress the urge for having that next drink. I have read about "nalmefene". Can I get it over the counter. There must be something available on the market. Please advice.
Answer 346 views

01 Jan 0001

Concern, nalmefene is used more for the prevention of severe symptoms associated with alcohol withdrawal. Acamprosate (SobrialĀ®) would be a better option. The bet would be to see your doctor and discuss it with him. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.