Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
04 Jan 2005
Why does my right ear get blocked whenever I lie down?
Whenever I lie down to sleep at night my right ear and right nostril get blocked. I always wake up with a blocked right ear and right nostril, and sometimes it takes up to an hour before the blocked feeling goes away. It feels like there is mucous in my ear, but I do not have hayfever, sinusitis or a cold. My eyes are also very sensitive, and burn and hurt a lot, especially when I sit in front of my computer.
Felicia, it might be that your right Eustachian tube (the tube between the throat and the nose) is smaller than on the left. In the case of something like an infection or an allergy the walls of the tube may swell and/or fill with mucous and the smallest of the tubes will act up first. It might also be that you sleep on your right hand side and that gravity is to blame. Whatever the cause, the best would be to see an ENT specialist and have it sorted out. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Low risk of third Covid wave in SA, but country still ‘highly vulnerable’, Wits AI model suggests
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- Obesity, diabetes not only increases risk of severe Covid - it increases the risk of being infected
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
- Trichomonas gallinae disease or canker killing birds in Eastern Cape?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19881 votes