Ask an expert

17 Jul 2006

Worried about chest area after accident
Hey doc

My sister and me were in a car accident 2 weeks ago, both wearing safety belts and she was the driver. We were taken too hospital for evaluation.

According to the X-rays there were no visible bone breakages in our chest areas. But both of us have a pain in our chest in the middle and towards the right (myself) and left (my sister). It is not that sore when I press on these areas, but feel pain when I cough, sneeze or move my upper body in certain ways. The doc who did the evaluation said it just because of the pressure on the chest area form the crash and seatbelt, and prescribed painkillers. Is this something to be worried about and can the pain last so long?

And after taken an ECG a second time he said he is a bit worried about the reading. Can this because of shock at that moment. I was previously admitted to hospital because of flu influencing my heart rate, and my grand parents on my mother’s side had both heart problems. Is this also something I should be worried about? And whom can I see about this?
Answer 307 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Worried
You probably injured the soft tissue of the chest and the ligaments and joints of the breastbone. One can get cardiac contusion due to Motor vehicle accidents, which may show on ECG, but he would probably refer you to a cardiologist if needed. The ligament injuries can take a few weeks to heal.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20296 votes