Ask an expert

01 Dec 2005

Yearly Spina Bifida tests
Good Morning,
As I am a Spina Bifida, I have to go for yearly test, which include Blood tests, Urine tests, Sonars, X-rays (for my back). To do these tests properly I need to see a specialist (Urologist) first.
I am busy negotiating with my Medical aid and my employer to put all of the above on chronic or to get my employer to compromise. They therefore need to know how much money I basicly spend per year on these tests.
Where would I find out how much these tests cost? And how much the specialist would cost? I haven't been for these tests for ages because of financial problems, I therefore do not know the going rate.
I would really appreciate a reply as soon as possible.

Answer 310 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Michelle,
Any Urologist would be able to give you a "quote" for the examinations. He could also tell you which blood tests he would draw and you will be able to get the cost for that at any big lab like Lancet or Du Buisson. You'll have to contact your local radiologist/hospital to find out what the x/rays & sonar would cost. - find out which x/rays the urologist would want and whether he would like to do an IVP ( kidney test) say every 5 years or so.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9422 votes
68% - 19857 votes