Ask an expert

05 Feb 2013

5 yr old
Hi CS,
Thank you for the insight and advice regarding my 5 year old. I had a chat with his teacher this morning and we will meet on Friday to further discuss the problems and find a solution. She is very approachable and understanding.
I am deciding to take your advice and find a child psyhologist anyway.
I am now getting so worried about him going to Gr 1 next year and not fitting in well, so really want to sort him out now.
He does get disciplined at home for specific wrongdoings, but this is so rare, but as you say, we are different in different environments.
I am feeling so anxious now, and in some ways I feel like I have failed, although I know I do my best.
This morning when I left him at school, after the chat with his teacher (he heard everything we discussed), he looked a bit remorseful, but somehow I feel I can''t trust him to maintain that for long enough. I also made him repeat some rules he needs to follow for the day, on the drive to school.
We did come down on him hard yesterday, and he never ever challenges us, but I never know if he understands his wrongdoings as much as we explain to him, in great detail, what to do when found in a particular situation, and why his own actions that have landed him in trouble is wrong.
There was a time when I thought his behaviour is typical of a boy his age, but I don''t know anymore. What more can I, as a single mum, do to better my child''s attitude when he''s not with me? (He always makes friends when we go out and gets along well with others)
Answer 277 views

01 Jan 0001

Thanks for the followup. I know its hard for you not to do it, but try not to be excessively concerned, as this in itself can upset a sensitive child. Sounds like this teacher may be really useful. Try not to get so anxious - maybe even to the point of getting a couple of sessions of counselling for yourself, to help get more grounded and calmer. You have not failed, not at all. You are doing well, and you're a normal mom with a normal kid.
Lets see what the child shrink says
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.