Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
25 Jul 2006
Addicted to Rohypnol
My friend has trouble sleeping and over a number of years has become dependent on Rohypnol. He has a legal prescription for 1.5 a day but recently a dentist friend has given him another. A couple of days ago he complained that he'd taken 4.5 (over a number of hours) and still not slept. Obviously he has developed a tolerance and is addicted. Compounding the problem, he is HIV+, on ARVs and depressed, feels he won't live much longer so why bother - but I'm convinced that a lot of the malaise he feels is due to the Rohypnol rather than AIDS. I don't fancy my chances of getting him into rehab, but if I could present him with facts about the side-effects of Rohypnol and hopefully some info on alternative less damaging sleeping pills some good may come of it ...?
Tolerance and addiction are closely related ; and if his dentist "friend" gave him another prescription knowing that he already had one, that was unprofessional and foolish. Depending on the nature of his physical health re HIV and ARV's, that might be responsible for some degree of the malaise ; but certainly the Rohypnol abuse could also be very relevant here. he doesn't necessarily have to go into rehab, but should see a good local shrink with experience in drug dependency, for assessment and advice, and to devise a safe plan for shifti off of the rohypnol, either to do without such sedatives altogether, or to switch to safer modern alternatives, like Stilnox. But there would still, in that event, be a substantial risk of becoming dependent on ANY sedative, in view of his history, and there might need to be caerful plans made to limit his access to such drugs and keep their use to a minimum
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- Low risk of third Covid wave in SA, but country still ‘highly vulnerable’, Wits AI model suggests
- Obesity, diabetes not only increases risk of severe Covid - it increases the risk of being infected
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
- Trichomonas gallinae disease or canker killing birds in Eastern Cape?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19881 votes