Ask an expert

16 Aug 2010

Adult stepdaughter
How do you handle an adult stepdaughter (aged 23) that still comes over to visit every second weekend like a younger child. She comes the Friday evening and stays until the Sunday evening. She works, but receives a very low salary. She''s overweight and has no boy friend. Her father overprotects her and she does not have to help with the household chores, because she''s " a guest"  . She rarely talks, chain smokes, looks depressed and unfriendly most of the time and glares at me when she gets a chance. I feel uncomfortable in my own house. I wish to say to her: go on a diet, lose some weight and get a life"  , but keep my mouth shut. I want to flee from the house, because I hate the atmosphere when she''s around. When I try to talk to her, she answers me bluntly. We don''t even take her to family gatherings, because she just sits there with her unfriendly face and stares at everyone. Her father holds himself blind to all of this. I can see she''s unhappy with her life, but why must my household be disrupted by this? It seems that she''s even more unhappy at her mother''s house, because she insists to come to visit us, but brings this negative vibe with her.
Answer 298 views

01 Jan 0001

A guest is someone who comes only occasionally, at your request, not someone who comes regularly at their own decision.
Sounds like she's given up on herself, sopmeone who aimed low in life, and still missed.
Relying on her dad's pity ( and maybe guilt ? ) to help her, and not bothering to do some of the obvious things that could help improve her situation. He may have fallen into the trap of becoming an Enabler, who enables a person to fail and excuses their failure to even seriously try.
Can you calmly and gently discuss with her dad, in a way that would make it harder for him to see it as an attack on her or on himself, how she needs individual counsellin and help, or she will spend her life as an emotional equivalent of the Cold Front the weathermen talk of, a small cloud of gloom,, sharing her misery with others while not validly trying to change it herself ?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19295 votes