Ask an expert

16 Aug 2007

Advice please
I blush easily. This is very imbaresing to me. Currently I need to attend meetings with some of our company managers/executives ect. And when they talk to me I will blush. I can not see that this is giving them a very good perseption of me as I do not see it as very professional. I would really like to go "up" in the company however I am afraid they will keep seeing me as a "child"
Though I am already 29 and feel that I should be able to get rid of this by now. I normally are also very shy and quite, even sometimes with people that I do know but maybe did not see for a while. You can just imagine how I blush when people around me start talking about sex. I am still a virgin and I do not know if that will be easier for me once I had sex myself
There is another thing I am worrying about.
I really feel lonely as I do not have someone in my life, never really had before... I did connect to internet dating sites but to be honest, that really irritates me.
I will not describe myself as "beautiful" however I am not bad looking. Alot of times men will look at me but they will never talk to me. I am always friendly to people when they talk to me but I can never get up the nerve to talk to them first.
My mom really is not making it easy on me. The other day she was upset because people she know from ages ago have a lot of grandchildren. And she only has one, from my one sister. She actually told me that she do not know why we are so useless. This really did hurt me and I can not seem to get it behind me. I did not even answer her as I grew up in an very old fashioned household were we NEVER had a confrontation with my parents. It was just not allowed. I will always just keep quite. The worst of all is that I own my own house and my parents stay with me. I even give my mother spending money every month. Where am I going wrong?????????

I am
Answer 280 views

01 Jan 0001

Firstly, realize that because you can feel the warmth of the flush, generally you are far more aware of blushing than anyone you're speaking with. It soudns as though you are experiencing problems related to a low self-esteem, and perhaps a degree of social anxiety disorder. Fortunately this responds very well to treatment, preferably with a combination of CBt counselling and perhaps some medication which is also used to treat depression. Can you arrange to see a good local shrink for a fuller assessment and advice on these treatments ? You should be able to greatly increase your self-conidence and that in turn will relieve the other problems
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19318 votes