Ask an expert

11 Jan 2005

Alcohol Abuse and Violence

I would like to know if anyone can help me with a number for the AA and also for a counsellor specialising in woman abuse? My father has a drinking problem and also abuses my mother. For some stupid reason she doesn't want to have him arrested. We tried to make a case against him at the local police station but they weren't very helpful.....they treated us like we were the bad guys. All I want is for some one, maybe a counsellor to talk to my mother and father about this and to maybe force my mother to open a case against my father. I have spoken to someone at FAMSA and at POWA, but they said I must go to the police. Can someone please help me...??? All the help will be highly appreciated!!
Answer 338 views

01 Jan 0001

Check your local telephone book, and there should be numbers for AA, and perhaps also AlAnon. they ofen have a serice for families of alcoholics, too Also check for a local or reachable number for POWA, which is a good large organization dealing with spouse abuse. Abused women often resist the idea of actally taking effective steps against their abuser --- you too can discus this with POWA again which could advise you on how to handle this. It may be a big mistake for your mother not to want to make a case against him right now, but to FORCE her to do anything could be considered abusive in its own right.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.