Ask an expert

03 Aug 2010

Alcoholic needs help, no medical aid
Dear Cybershrink

My friend has finally admitted that he has a problem with alochol. He is a binge drinker (basically he can''t stop once he''s started), but doesn''t have to drink every day. He holds down a job and pretty much functions OK, but he has already lost his relationship, home and daughter to his addiction.

He tried AA previously, but this didn''t seem to help him. He struggled to identify with the people there (they were REALLY down and out and he felt that he " wasn''t like them." ) Because he is not the kind of alcoholic that needs to drink every day, he doesn''t class himself in the same category as those that do.

He needs therapy or some kind of intervention. Unfortunately, he doesn''t have a medical aid and his finances are in a bit of a shambles. (he has R50k debt with nothing to show for it... threw it all down his throat).

Are there any NGO''s that can help? How can he get individual theraphy that won''t cost and arm and a leg?

He is a bit sceptical about AA and I agree that he needs individual counselling.
Answer 502 views

01 Jan 0001

Some people are well suited by AA, but others just can't find it fits them. And as alcoholics are so skilled at finding ways of persuading themselves that they're not really alcoholic, and " not like those guys " this can be a disadvantage at times.
You might try calling AA, none the less, as they might know of any OTHER NGO or other source of free or low-cost help. I can't think of one. There are rehab facilities, but except for a few which he might similarly find objectionable, run by the state, they also cost money. There are useful counsellors and psychologists / shrinks who might help, but again, they generally don't assist free of charge ( nor could they afford to do so ). FAMSA, Lifeline or suchlike might know of acilities and costs in your particular area.
Maybe other readers can also make helpful suggestions
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.