Ask an expert

07 Aug 2007

Alcoholism How to Treat
We have got a problem with my mom, she is a alcoholic,but she do not think she has got a problem, we have been speaking to a clinic for treatment for her , but they say if she is not willing to be helped, they can't take her in, how do we work with her, she is like a tiger when we talk to her and says she can help herself, but this has been going on for years. I need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answer 455 views

01 Jan 0001

I'm afraid the clinic is right --- both that they're not allowed to admit and treat her without her full consent, and that no treatment for alcoholism works unless and until the person admits that they have this problem, and that they sincerely want to change and control it. Alcoholics are brilliant at misleading and lying to themselves, and keep announcing that they can help themselves, that they can stop at any time, but just don't hyet want to, etc. All you can do, sadly, is to take such opportunities as may present themselves, to persuade her to recognize the problem and to seek treatment. Similarly, AA can be helpful, but only if she will attend meetings and take the process seriously.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19322 votes