Ask an expert

26 Feb 2004

Am i depressed?
a few weeks ago a glass broke at my house i was alone and went to pick up the pieces instead i picked up just one peice and cut myself with it. Im not suer y i did this i feel sad constantly im constantly tired i feel like i have no energy. when im driving home and trucks pass me going the other way i consider driving into them, or a tree, or a wall. Im not fusy.

If i am depressed is there nething i can take over the counter i dont want my family to know how i feel

Answer 420 views

01 Jan 0001

dear depressed,
Nothing available over the counter is safe or effective to take in a situation like this, but there are much, much beter alternatives. Firstly, you can see your GP rapidly, and get started on proper medical treatment for your serious and life-threatening Depression, and referral to a psychiatrist, with no need whatsoever for your family to know about it --- doctors are supposed to keep consultations confidential. Secondly, though, there is no value in keeping your sadness secretfrom your family --- surely they would want to know, and woulod care, and would want to be able to help and encourage you to persevere with treatment that can transform the miserble feelings you describe.
And just imagine, if you ever did give way to those dreadful impulses to harm yourself --- your family would of course find out, but in the very cruelest and most hurtful manner.
I am absolutely confident that with proper treatment you can be feeling a whole lot better than this, enjoying life, and once again bringing joy to others as well as to yourself. Do get the proper treatment you deserve --- you're so well worth it.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.