Ask an expert

16 Jul 2005

Am I depressed or just over reacting???
I have been feeling down for a while now. All I do is over eat and sleep. I'm able to sleep for 15 hours at a go. I have no friends and often rely on my boyfriend for friendship. If he sees any of his friends, I become jealous and often cause a major seen. 9 out of 10 times I am crying over small things (finances, attention, love etc). I was once so energetic, I was a go getter, I could speak my mind and all of a sudden, I am this withdrawn person. I'm afraid to go out, afraid to meet people I haven't seen in a while, as I am afraid that they will criticise me. I have now become a follower at work, I'm unable to come up with suggestions, unable to disagree even if I totally disagree with their suggestions. Are these all symptoms of depression, or am I just over reacting?
Answer 378 views

01 Jan 0001

Hello Candiz,
COuld be either --- or both ! This sadly common pattern of becomes far too reliant on one single bf, so that you get jealous when he even acknowledges that other women exist, destroys relationships by being unreasonable, and stems usually from low self-esteem and low self-confidence. If one is too demanding of attention, one gets less, not more. Could well be symptoms of depression, especially as these seem, from your description, to represent a change in your way of being, rather than just how you have always been. See a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment, and then you can discuss treatment options. Medication can help the symptoms of depression, but you may also benefit from counselling, to help sort out those issues of self-esteem and confidence, and to enhance this relationship that means so much to you.
And, as fossy suggests, broaden your interests by getting involved in other activities, and widening your range of friends and acquaintances. when you're no longer totally dependent on this one man, you may be able to have a far better relationship with him.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.