Ask an expert

26 Jul 2005

Dear Doc
I've broken up with my boyfriend, and I'm going through a really rough patch to get through this. I'm 25 and we were together for about 2 years. Would my GP be able to prescribe any anti-depressants? I don't think i can do this alone.
Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

A GP can indeed prescribe antidepressants, if they are needed. In the sort of situation you describe, though, you would probably do better to see a psychologist or other counsellor, to work your way through the "rough patch" and learn better life skills, to cope better with whatever other rough patches may show up in the future
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.