Ask an expert

17 Jul 2006

Hi Doc! Hope you are well. I wonder if you can help me with something please. I have been on and off anti-depressants since I was 17 years old. I am now 29. I have been on Prozac (which I had to stop as I kept falling asleep), Nuzak, Cilift and recently, Zoloft. I recently weaned myself off the Zoloft as I was unable to afford the cash price for it at the time(as my medical aid savings have run out) over a period of two months, following the instructions as per my G.P. I have been off the Zoloft for 1 1/5 months now. However, the last two weeks have been terrible. I am constantly weeping and depressed. My husband told me I have become difficult to live with because of my mood swings. I would like to go back onto the anti-depressants as I wasn't like this when I was on them. Is that a good idea? Lastly, I was diagnosed as having Major Depression when I was 17 (after a suicide attempt) as a result of a chemical imbalance (the diagnosis), but I have never been tested for this. Is there a test one can take to clarify once and for all if it is chemical or my environment? Thanks so much for your time in responding to this :-)
Answer 431 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Melanie,
Well, getting along, anyway. Nuzak is identical toprozac ( same chemical ).Check with your pharmacist for the latest news on generic ( chemically identical but cheaper ) versions of the major antidepressants. Like Cilift is the cheaper version of Cipramil. There may be a generic of Zoloft available by now. There is no test specifically for the "chemical imbalance" underlying Depression --- the chemical imbalance can be inferred from the symotoms and the response to treatment. The chemical issue involved such minute quantities of the relevant chemicals within the brain ( which we can't sample directly, without brain surgery !). And Depressions respond well to treatment, by antidepressant and CBT counselling, whether they arise spontaneously, of in relation to factors in the environment
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20302 votes