Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
21 Jul 2008
How does one interact with a close relative who suffers anxiety and panic attacks when they become clingy and keep telling you how bad they feel and how lonely they are, and they76 don' t understand why they are like this. Do you sympathise or do you adopt a firm approach and while being sympathetic zat the same time make it clear you are not happy with their clingy/dependant attitude and tell them to get involved with a therapy group/old friends etc.
You tell them, calmly, pleasantly, bu firmly, that they have a disorder which will respond very well inded to proper treatment, and that you, not being a qualified shrink, cannot handle this or provide what they need, but you will gladly help her to make an appointment to se a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and treatment. YOu tell them that often such a condition arises for largely chemical reasons, and one may not be able to understand WHY it has arisen, but fortunately you don't need to understand WHY to be able to clear it up.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Type 2 diabetes: Sitting can cause problems with blood sugar levels, so get up and move
- How quickly do we become unfit?
- Covid-19 virus a triple threat: Study exposes how it outsmarts the immune system
- Mixing Pfizer and AstraZeneca Covid vaccines increases mild side effects, early results show
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Phase 2 of SA's ambitious Covid-19 vaccination drive gets underway countrywide
- If Zuma is ready to go on trial, why is he bringing another doomed case against the NPA?
- State capture: Geoff Makhubo denies his influence was bought
- Covid-19: Govt scrambles as third wave looms
- Serjeant at the Bar | The JSC should not claim it can preserve the legitimacy of the judicial system
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20327 votes