Ask an expert

04 Feb 2004

any medication for depression
i am 26 weeks pregnant and feel depressed all the time. i cry at least once in a week. what kind of medication can i take to improve my mood? i really need to take something and because i feel so embarrassed for bursting into tears in front of my co-workers and my self esteem is also affected.

moreover, when we talk about other issuess Im fine but when they ask about the pregnancy i burst into tears. i suspect that they will organise a baby shower for me and my worst fear is that Im afraid that i will burst into tears during the event and end up looking like a fool.
how do i deal with my situation and why do i feel so sad and tearful all the time?

i have always been a sensitive person but now i think its worse. i also feel sad if i fail in life or do not reach my goals. my intention was to fall pregnant after marriage. now i feel sad for not achieving this goal and this seems like a major disastor.

during my depresssion i came to realise why people commit suicide. the only thing that stopped me is my fear for Jehova God and reading the bible. also i think life itself is exciting for one to end his/her life.

so please doctor help me by recommending the medication. i cant go to the shrink because my medical aid is exausted
Answer 401 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear pali,
It's not unusual for someone during pregnancy, especially an unplanned pregnancy, to get more easily upset than usual ( and you mention you were always rather sensitive ). Don't be too harsh on yourself for being emotional at this time --- and though I'm no expert on baby showers, I suspect they'd almost be disappointed if you didn't get a bit tearful.
But youmight well be developing a Depression which deserves treatment. If your medical aid won't stretch to seeing a psychiatrist ( if it's "exhausted" by February, I assume it doesn't run to calendar yeears ? ) then you can see a GP, who could asses the degree of your depression, and if he/she thinks it necessary, select one to suit you and the pregnancy. If that's not possible, you could arrange to be seen at a state / provincial clinic, explaining the urgency, for a consultation there and the prescription. I wouldn't recommend a specific drug for you at this stage, as the assessment would be important, and you would need to see a doctor for the prescription, anyway.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20217 votes