Ask an expert

11 Jan 2005

Anyone been to hosp. casualty when feeling suicidal?
Has anyone here on this site been to a hospital when feeling suicidal?The thing is, I've been having suicidal feelings for the last 2 days.I will only be seeing a psych. later this mth.
Now I know the next best thing
2 do is to go a hops. casualty, but I am embarassed.
What do I tell them?Do I ask for a specific doctor, etc.
Also, what do they do once you tell them?Do they admit you?
Answer 386 views

01 Jan 0001

Nothing to feel embarassed --- what you are experiencing happens to the best of us at times, and any properly trained hospital staff should appreciate someone with the sense to seek help when they need it, and to prefer to see you when self-harm can be prevented. And consultations must be confidential. As Shaun says, a longish wait is probably inevitable, as casualties are always busy. A govt hospital which is linked to a medical school could be useful ; As C says a private psych clinic may have someone on emergency call, but tey would most probably charge for that service.
Does the psychiatrist with whom you have your appointment later this month, know that you are suicidal at present ? If not, let his office know, as he may be able to fit in an urgent appointment earlier, to help deal with this.
And remember, if you run into anyone crude, nadly trained and stpuid enough to ridicule you or anyone in such a situation, just know that you have run across a fool, and ignore their comments. But that really should not happen.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.