Ask an expert

10 Feb 2004

Anyone jacked up on legal family law: URGENT!!!
Hi Guys

I'm looking to speak to someone who is jacked up on legal family law. If there is a web site I can visit and ask questions, something like this forum that can help me.
If there is someone who is a lawyer that visits this site that can help me please.
Anyone who has any information for me it will be greatly appreciated.

I can't go to the family court as I work long hours and need the money to support my son, and my company won't give me off to get the help I need and require.

I would like to know what my rights are and the rights of the father.
The father is a drinker and a heavy drug user that's where his salary goes to.
Pls help.

Thanks In advance
1st Time Mommy
Answer 374 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear FTM,
Do what you can by phone, maybe a University Law Clinic, or via the law society which I think can arrange an initial free consultation. Can't even someone at the Family Court respond at least initially by phone ?
And meToo, while you may not be able to post a clickable web address, you can include as plain text a website's url, so far as I know.
Courts asked to decide on such matters have to base their decision on the best interests of the child, which can surely never include awarding custody to a drug addict father who took no interest in the child (and an addict is unlikely to be keen on getting custody, as he wants to keep his cash for the drugs ). Some magistrates are far from the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but surely none would be daft enough to award custody to someone such as you describe. And you can draw up a will expressing at least your wish for your parents to take over custody, and your reasons for wanting that ; and your parents can be primed and ready to oppose custody should the father seek to claim it.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20296 votes